Skip to main content

Just Don't Call Me "Twinkletoes"

So I'm in my third week at my new job, and today was the last day for the guy I'm replacing. He's been at this position for about four years, is pretty good at it, and if he didn't have to leave for a good reason he wouldn't. So to say that I'm a bit overwhelmed at filling the shoes of a legend, would be an understatement. I imagine it's a bit like how George "Twinkletoes" Selkirk felt in 1935, when he stepped in to replace Babe Ruth in the Yankee right field.

How do you live up to the legacy of a legend? How could you possibly be as good, or better than him? I imagine these questions echoed in ol' Twinkletoes' head as he walked onto the field in Yankee Stadium for the first time.

Apparently, he didn't let it get to him too much. He ended up playing for six Yankee Pennant winners, and batted better than .300 in five of his first six seasons. Not too shabby. Sure, he wasn't the Babe, but he did pretty good.

Here's hoping I can do the same. I'm never going to be the guy I replaced. But I can do pretty good, if I set my mind to it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Open Letter to William Wang, CEO of Vizio TV

Dear Mr. Wang, In June of 2008, my wife purchased a 32" Vizio Plasma television for me for Father's Day. Needless to say, I was very happy, having wanted to make the switch to HD and finally being able to do so. Our current television was over ten years old, so I was looking forward to a long relationship with this television and Vizio. Around December of 2009, I noticed some odd behavior from the television. It would flash on, and then off, and then on again. As though it were like a car having trouble turning over to start in cold weather. The problem was annoying in the beginning, and worsened over the last few weeks. Until tonight, when it refused to turn on at all. Once the holidays were over, I called technical support, to find out just what I could do to either fix the television myself, or what you could do to stand behind your product. The customer service agent, who was very polite, informed me that since my warranty had been expired, and that my wife hadn&#

One Down, A Few More to Go...

It's taken me over a year to finally get off of my behind and update my website. But now - it's here. Well, most of it. I have a few kinks to iron out, but I have it uploaded and working, and you can check it out here . I'll take any advice I can get, so fire away. But there's a problem when I get a major project finished. There's a dozen more I have to get off the ground. Here are a few of them. A to do list, if you will. 1) Update my portfolio. There's one thing that designers and other artists have to do in order to maintain fresh - keep creating. I've been doing a bunch of things, mostly non-creative, but I really need to update my work portfolio - some new, versatile projects that showcase my skills. While putting my portfolio together, I noticed that I have a lot of solid poster design, so I'm going to have to focus on some layout and other design projects. Maybe I'll do a CD Cover design, and a magazine layout. They don't have

Two Jobs in One Year.

So I lost my job. Again. The one I thought I'd love. But I lost it. Only because I didn't want to be dragged along in part time until business picked up. I've gone through the cycle, sadness to despair to anger to more anger. And despite my lack of knowledge of the Grateful Dead, I heard this song on the radio today, and had to smile: Must be getting early, clocks are running late. Paint my love a morning sky, its all cold. Dawn is breaking everywhere, light a candle, curse the glare Draw the curtains I dont care, but its all right I will get by, I will get by, I will get by, I will survive. I see youve got your list out, say your piece and kiss off. Guess I get the gist of it, but its all right Oh well anyway, sorry that you feel that way. Every silver linings got a touch of grey I will get by, I will get by, I will get by, I will survive. Its a lesson to me, the ablers and the beggars and the thieves The abcs we all think of, try to win a little love. I know the rent is i